Saturday, April 16, 2016

Faggio San Francesco

Onward towards Poggio Bustone now, with a stop at the fascinating legendary beech tree that supposedly sheltered San Francis from the elements one day long ago. It is also believed to be the world's oldest living beech tree. I can't imagine how St Francis or anyone else for that matter, ever discovered this tree. That was one of the longest and hardest climbs I've done in a long time. It really did seem to go on forever. I can see why no one ever bothered to cut down the tree, as so often happens to ancient magnificent trees. It was definitely far off the beaten path. It really was one of the most amazing specimens I have ever seen. It would have done a very good job of sheltering a person from a bad storm. It was totally enchanting.

The trip on to Poggio Bustone was quite confusing. Even with the help of my iPhone gps I was never quite sure if I was on course. In some spots the guidebook advised not to follow the markers. Yet in one spot I wish he had advised not to follow them. They suddenly disappeared and I felt quite lost. I ended up taking the path that led down, of the many choices I faced at one point. To my astonishment and delight I actually found the sign that read Poggio Bustone 1 hour, as the book had mentioned. But the trail went on endlessly and I finally arrived.

Now for my next problem. Where was that place I had planned to stay, the local hostel. I tracked it with my phone gps but with so many twisting streets and stairways I was soon lost. I asked for help from some folks in the square. They pointed way up the hill and assured me that was the place. At least 20 minutes later I reached the spot only to find out it was just the convent. A kind priest directed me right back where I had asked for directions.

I wandered down many flights of stairs often asking directions and finally found La Locanda Francescana. But the door was locked. I rang the bell. No one answered. There was a sign that said if the door was locked, go to the restaurant 100 meters away. Of course I had no idea where that restaurant was, and neither did anyone else who I asked.

So next I tried calling the phone numbers listed on the same sign. A woman answered and I managed to get the point across that I wanted to stay at the hostel but it was closed. She said "un momento", then promptly hung up on me. I went through that exercise two more times with the same results. By now I had fiddled around by the hostel door for over one hour.

I gave up! First I tried to find a hotel through Expedia but they didn't offer any. Then I tried Booking.com. They had one located right where I was standing! I quickly booked it. Went to the door that had a sign saying, "Open come in" which was locked!

Now OF COURSE along comes the owner of the hostel. I was stuck between a rock and a very hard place. I had already booked the hotel which was nonrefundable. Yet I couldn't get in. And the guy from the hostel was obviously quite annoyed with me. But what was I supposed to do! He said good bye and left. There was a hotel phone number through booking.com and I gave it a try. Fortunately the hotel owner come to my aid. She was the person who had eventually led me to the hostel. She let me in and now I have a wonderful place to spend the night.

I don't think I'll soon forget Poggio Bustone or that incredible tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment