Monday, April 11, 2016

San Damiano

I visited Assisi at least 10 years ago but only had quick visits to the basilicas of St Francis and Clare. I was on a tour with my mother at the time, which included many cities around the country.

One place I have always regretted missing on that trip was San Damiano. I knew it was quite close to Assisi but it was not on our itinerary.

When I first arrived in Assisi, I checked into my hotel then planned to visit the Basilica San Francesco but a gigantic tour group was blocking the entrance. I elected to skip it and come back later. I followed my map and signs to San Damiano. It was quite the steep trek down the mountain and I wondered how much I would regret it when I had to go back up again. They were closed when I arrived but the doors opened again at 2 pm. So I only had to wait 15 minutes. It's a fascinating old church and I can just imagine St Francis and his band of followers lovingly rebuilding it brick by brick. It is really quite simple but very beautiful. There is a replica of the cross that spoke to St Francis inspiring him to rebuild the church. My visit there was worth every step, both up and down the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment